Getting a Cottage Industries Permit for our Caramel

I make some kick butt caramel so I’ve finally decided I’m going to sell it.  To do this in San Bernardino County, you have to either use a commercial kitchen or get a Cottage Industries Permit.  While I have access to a commercial kitchen locally, why keep spending money to rent one when you can just use your own kitchen?

I wasn’t sure who to call first so I called Code Enforcement.  The county worker had no idea what I was talking about and told me very confidently that I needed a Home Occupation Permit.  Not so.  I need a Cottage Food Operation Registration/Health Permit.  This is very normal of county as I learned while we tried to get our bed and breakfast permit.  They don’t have a clue which permit you need, what you’re talking about or who you need to talk to.  When they tell you to get a certain permit, expect the next person to tell you to get a different one ad nauseum.

I’m going to document me getting this permit so that hopefully I can help others to get through this.  I’m keeping my fingers crossed that this will be way simpler than getting the b&b permit which was a hellish experience.  Wish me luck because this caramel is awesome!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Waldorf Schools visit the Ranch

Cottage Industries Permit San Bernardino County Part II

jam and caramel selling permit